KEEP CALM AND DRIVE ON: STAYING ROAD RAGE FREE
We all get a little angry when we are out for a drive. Whether you are on your way to work, the grocery store or maybe you are out for a Sunday drive, road rage can creep up at any time. High stress levels can lead to dangerous driving situations for you and other drivers on the road. This week I have some tips to help you stay calm and ensure you get to your destination safe and stress-free!
1. Take your time and be prepared. A good night’s sleep is a great place to start, driving drowsy can be as dangerous as driving under the influence plus it makes raw nerves quickly flare up. Avoid eating and driving, your main focus should be on the road and not your bacon, egg, and cheese. Give yourself some extra time and plan your drive ahead of time. Don’t speed and set the expectation for an anger-free, focused drive.
2. Take a few slow breaths and find your inner zen during your drive. Don’t let other drivers create frustration when they suddenly change lanes or don’t use their blinker. Enhance your drive with scents to keep you calm. We all love when our car smells good so why not try air fresheners or essential oils to help keep us calm. Try scents of lavender, citrus, peppermint or vanilla – they will keep you calm and some will even boost your energy.
3. Mind your manners, even if it seems like other drivers are not.
- Don’t tailgate the person in front of you.
- Yield the right-of-way, be patient and merge when it is your turn.
- Only use the left lane to pass, otherwise stay out of the lane.
- Use your turn signals, it’s frustrating when others don’t use them so, lead by example.
- Share the road and be polite. A wave or smile can go a long way with other drivers.
Steering clear of road rage starts with you. Be sure to stay calm, be polite, and lead by example every time you turn your car on. Taking a defensive driving course can also prepare you for ever-changing road conditions. Plus your wallet could benefit from you taking a course!